|Risk related to the impact of the business operations conducted on the natural environment and the use of its resources, including, in particular, the loss of control over the process that would enable the prevention of excessive pollution, damage, disruption or failures of the installations or equipment that would have a negative impact on the environment. The risk also related to the possibility of: lack of the validity of environmental decisions, depositing waste in places not intended for such purpose or not in accordance with the conditions of the use of the facilities intended for such a purpose, the occurrence of a crisis situation: e.g. fire, displacement of earth masses, extreme phenomena, the use of the waste not in accordance with the authorized destination, the lack of the appropriate safeguards limiting the negative impact of the TAURON Group’s operations on the environment, release of the hazardous substances into the environment, social protests.
The implications of the risk are: degradation of the natural environment and penalties for a failure to comply with environmental requirements, the need to remove such substances, the curtailment of the production, delays in the implementation of the investment projects, pollution of water sources in a way that would prevent their use, destruction of a habitat, object or valuable natural area – environmental compensation, restrictions on a further expansion of the business operations, a loss of the image of the TAURON Group, limitation of the ability to use the financial assistance programs.
The risk also includes an increase in the environmental requirements due to the tightening of the EU’s climate policy.
- Adoption and implementation of the TAURON Group’s Environmental Policy.
- Conducting business operations that affect the environment in accordance with the principles of the sustainable development.
- Ongoing supervision over compliance with the conditions of the environmental decisions.
- Maintaining the required level of performance of pollution reduction equipment.
- Frequent assessment of compliance of actions taken with the legal requirements with respect to environmental protection.
- Implementing investment projects in the environment protection area in order to minimize the adverse impact of the conducted mining and processing operations on the environment and climate.
- Active search for the technical and organizational solutions that would minimize the impact of the TAURON Group’s operations on the climate change.